What type of liability insurance do you have for your photography company?

Note: QOTDs (Questions Of The Day) are from our Facebook page. If you would like to submit a question, please click here to submit your question. We will then post them on our Facebook page and let our fans respond to the question.  We will then transfer the question over to our blog so we can keep them in an organized way for others to see.

QOTD from Karin: "I have a question for other part time photographers after reading the horrible story of the bride in Canada who died during her Trash The Dress session  -- we do wedding and portrait photography on a limited basis (can't make the jump to full time yet!) as an LLC. My husband looked into liability insurance years ago but said he didn't know how to make it work with the small profit he makes to start with. Wondering what sort of liability insurance other part time photographers might carry or what waivers you may have clients sign? While this tragedy clearly could have been avoided - you couldn't blame anyone for not thinking of the possibility and it sounds like this is the type of photos the bride has requested due to it being the location of her wedding photos as well. Makes you think!!"

Christina: In all honesty, I don't really see a reason for these types of sessions. I get freedom of being an artist, but the idea really makes no sense, and it seems really dangerous. I've seen Brides in these monstrous dresses under waterfalls, in front of trains on train tracks, and all the while I"m thinking ... "For what? A picture of a dirty wedding dress?"

Cate: I am insured through PPA. Join them as a full time member and then I called their insurance company, used that discount/package pricing and pay about $350/year for a 1million coverage policy. I don't want to be harsh, but insurance isn't optional. If you are going to shoot a wedding, get insurance. the whole profits thing doesn't matter IMO, the SECOND something happens (Big or small) you have lost your profits and more... so I think that insurance is a must have. Again, I go through PPA.

Jess: These are my favorite sessions to do, they look amazing when done correctly, however knowing fabric gets VERY heavy with water I would never go anywhere where the bride potentially could get sucked under water.. like no where higher then MAYBE waist high... and then it has to be pretty calm still. My clients all sign contracts that stipulate and cover my behind on everything including something like this where the bride requested I would have let her know it was dangerous and offered somewhere else had they said no I would have taken every precaution and then still I would have something signed...

Jfs Photoguy:  ITS A FAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...JUST like doing the after wedding "boudoir"...

Karin:  My question wasn't specifically for TTD sessions... Reading that article just got me and my husband talking and got me to ask in general. :)

Crystal: I really don't have an opinion on whether or not "these types" of sessions should be done. To each his own, I say. As far as insurance goes, I carry a policy that covers 1 million per person/2 million per incident of liability insurance. This covers injuries, etc. both in studio and on location. If you believe you don't need it when you are in a public place, you're wrong. Let's say you're shooting a child at a park and the child slips and hits their head, etc. Don't think for a second they won't first go after the park and then come after you...and they will...and they can...and you will lose. The insurance I carry doesn't cover the type of liability "if the customer isn't pleased with the job I do (wedding)"...this is solely for injuries during the session. I have a contract that outlines I am not responsible, blah blah blah, but a good attorney will find cracks in that. I do NOT transport clients (EVER) in my own vehicle (to limit liability in the event of a car wreck). I also carry a stand-alone policy that covers all equipment both in my studio AND in my vehicle while I am on location. I pay about $700 per year for all of this. In all honesty, it's a small price to pay to know I'm covered should something horrific happen.

Jennifer: I carry through my regular insurance company (car/house insurance), you can get a policy through pretty much any insurance agency. It covers equipment and medical claims. We don't have much of a a profit margin, but drop your camera or have someone get hurt on a shoot and you'll have a lot less. I think mine runs about $275 a year (about $20 a month).

Carolins' Photography: I don't have additional insurance but it certainly makes me think about it. I am a part timer and only do a handful of weddings and family sessions a year based on previous client referrals and returns. I have on many occasions guided brides away from doing things like "pretending" to jump into a pool stunts in particular prior to the ceremony. They get idea's in their head about things they want and if I in anyway think it could be disasterous I just say NO. But given what happens to that poor girl I may look into some sort of additional coverage because you just don't know and like Crystal said if someone slips....they will look to sue someone.


Feel free to keep responding to this question using our comment section below.

Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.

Also in Photography Tips For Photographers and Posing Guides, Photography Marketing Templates, Contracts and Forms, Photoshop Actions, Lightroom Presets, Tutorials, Business, Online Photography School | www.bp4ublog.com

How to become a professional photographer

Fall Photo Challenge | Win a FREE Canvas

Did you hear? It's Two Dollar Tuesday!

Please select a wishlist category